Saturday 12 February 2022

Doing Research Work

 

This week’s reading involved collating a list of research topics and using different methods to evaluate the reading and asses the suitability if the text.

One thing I learnt from this week’s reading is the importance of active reading over passive reading.  In previous research assignments I would often collate my sources in a passive method by just accepting the text and sources that were found, I had never really taken the time to analyse the work and to question the validity of the text or the paper.

 

For the research portion of this week’s reading task, I managed to collect several credible sources relating to my topic of “Gamer Psychology”. I included each article found relating in my topic in a review matrix, at first, I found the layout of the review matrix to be a bit confusing, but after a couple of read- through’s I was able to tailor it to my advantage and structure it in a way that was simple for me to use. Whist filling out my review matrix I used the three-pass reading method. Something I like about using this method for the research papers is the thoroughness of the method, and how each step of this method is a driving force for whether the next step will be completed.




Sample Review Matrix attached here for reference.


Links to the readings I have completed

Understanding Gamer Psychology: Why Do People Play Games?

Understanding serious gaming: A psychological perspective

The Association Between Video Gaming and Psychological Functioning 








1 comment:

  1. Hello Karen,
    I relate to the not checking the validity especially when time is running out on an assignment and you just accept anything you find as a source. I still find the review matrix confusing lol. Thank you for including the sample review matrix it actually looks like it can help a lot of people. The first link in the readings you have done section is my favourite one.

    ReplyDelete

Beta

  After weeks of work and editing and writing and rewriting scripts I can successfully say that I have successfully completed my game! Thi...